Thursday, June 17, 2010

Designing the Doll

The main focus of today was to get designing the dolls we were to make of the St. Christopher's Hospice patients. This time, I was paired up solely with Kim. We started off with a discussion about Kim's personal interests and found she was a very creative person, designing cards for the hopsice shop and making ceramics as gifts for friends and family. I discovered Kim was an avid Elvis fan, so we decided to have his image feature on the t-shirt for her doll. I commented on Kim's style, remarking at how up-to-date she was with her liking for leggings and plimsolls. I recalled my work experience at Urban Outfitters and the insatiable hoardes of teenagers that came in droves to snap up a pair of plimsolls. I'm glad she agreed with me when I complimented her on her thick hair and trim frame. Kim knows she can get away with the leggings and skinny jeans where others can't ^^;

I drew as we talked and noticed her multiple lobe piercings, which lead us into a discussion about them and tattoos. Kim pointed out Dylan's stretched piercing and marvelled at it (being several gauges larger than mine) which then lead to us talking about boys, morality and what 'marriage' means to modern society...

...How on earth did we get there? Anyway, by the halfway point, we had pretty much decided on the details of our plush doll, so we had time to continue with our small talk. Talk of horses and the treatment of animals. I also found Kim was one of the few who had friends and family living locally to me, in the Wandsworth area. This was comforting, as most at the Hospice and at school live in places I've never heard of XD

I think today was productive. Kim and I both had a nervous giggle during our filmed interview with Zoe, making light of the situation and turning our anxiety into a joke. Hopefully, we will have both walked away with that little extra bit of confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment