Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Big Day

Today's the day- the culmination of weeks of hard work and building partnerships. I admit I had mixed feelings the morning we turned up at the Hospice. Instead of the usual prep for a workshop, we progressed from the moment we were sufficiently assembled, making trips from Zoe's car to the pavilion. First off, I was astonished at the volume of equipment we managed to cram into such a small vehicle... but then it was the fact that all this material emanating from the car consisted of things we had made. I was aware of the individual elements we had succeeded in constructing, but seeing it all come together coherently was amazing. The sun was once again beating down on us whilst we watched the garden space transform with every table we installed and the bunting being put up. There was a clear sense of camaraderie felt with every staple and frantic application of blu tack. How satisfying.

That being said, my mind began to race as visitors slowly filtered in. Some were unfamiliar, but the elation evident in the patients rolling in helped alleviate my anxiety. As the day went on, I settled into more. I took a step back, just to observe now I was done busying myself amongst stalls. The facial expressions of those watching the projections on our dolls were even more animated than our flash videos. Perhaps not superficially so, but those miniscule changes in their visage let me know that they were indeed responding to every word. Further intriguing was the depth of conversation some of the patients initiated with our inanimate, but evidently inviting plush dolls.

The quilt was breathtakingly beautiful; it was an accomplishment fully put down to Izzy's expertise and diligence. I couldn't help but feel; guilty when I heard how she worked into the night to complete it. But every stitch was a labour of love and I think the finished product was all the better for it.

Amidst the cakes and cordial, the sunshine and the smiles of the patients, I think we all quietly found the closure to the project. Though it was planned, there was no big speech, no fanfare to announce the end of our collaboration. There was no need. The wave of happiness that washed over that place gave us our wordless leave. Something in our heads told us 'Well done. We made it.'

'Thank you'

No comments:

Post a Comment