Sunday, July 11, 2010

Celebration!

Our final day at St Christopher’s was so amazing, a memory that I will cherish forever.
It started off with a bit of a hectic rush; getting everything ready, but as soon as the patients and our guests started to arrive the pavilion began to fill with happiness and enjoyment. It was so amazing to see what we had been planning really happening and how well the idea behind this project had worked. All of the patients were really excited to see their doll and to see what everyone else’s doll looked like. It was great to hear how much they liked the final result, especially as some of them were a bit sceptical in the beginning.
This project was something that greatly affected me, especially as it coincided with something that was happening in my own life as well. It was such a privilege to have gotten to experience this and see what a wonderfully joyful, welcoming and beautiful place a hospice can be. Whilst in the celebration day a friend of one of the patients I had been working with came along to see the doll of her friend who had sadly passed away. Something that greatly touched me was when she asked if she could perhaps take the doll of the patient; Nancy, to be given to Nancy’s granddaughter. I felt this to be such a compliment on the doll that she felt it was good enough that it could be given to her granddaughter who she told me was very close to her Nan.
At the celebration day I also came across a patient that I had never met before; Rose. She told me that she was a bit of an expert at making plush dolls herself; even creating some that were sold in funding for cystic fibrosis and raised £400 each! She told me that she also had some other plush toys that she had made recently and took me to see them so that I could get a private view of her newest work. They were amazing!

As a part of the celebration day one of the students on our group made a beautiful quilt to be given to the hospice as a gift from the Brit School. The quilt had individual squares, some filled with the artwork created by the patients others left plain for people to write comments on regarding the celebration day, all of the comments were really beautiful but there was one that touched me most of all; a commnt written by Nancy's friend Sheila.

No comments:

Post a Comment