Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Our Celebration Day

I am pretty certain that today made me one of the luckiest boys to pass through BRIT. I have done paintings and drawings for friends and members of the public before, so I can say that I have worked within the community before. But out of everything I have ever done with the community, I can safely say, today beats everything else hands down. This project as a whole has been my favourite project so far at the BRIT school.

For the people reading this that weren't there today, let me sum up the celebration day:
  • sunshine - check
  • a real buzz from everyone - check
  • smiles - check
  • tears - check
  • technology working properly with no faults - check

Today was perfect and I wouldn't change anything if I could. I wrote something that Zoe asked me to read out today, that due to everyone enjoying the show so much, never got a chance to be read out. So ill write it here.

"This project has been one of many highs and lows for myself. From the beginning, I was terrified of the very idea of this project. However, after meeting the patients we would be working with, I soon realised that my fears were completely unjustified. What I expected to be a room full of old people set in their ways, turned out to be a room full of fresh, exciting characters that were all unique in their own way. Whether it was the two old guys in wheel chairs having a back and forth going on throughout the whole lesson, or it was the quite lady with a passion for Elvis staying past the allocated workshop time just so she could finish doing some sewing. Everybody i have met on this project, and i really do mean everyone, has touched my life in some way or another. Moreover, this project didn't reach my expectations at all, It surpassed them in every way it could."

Ill miss everyone at St. Christopher's Hospice.
This project changed the way ill look at community art forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment