Tuesday, July 6, 2010

St Christopher's Celebration Day

I don't think that this day could have been any better. Everything went to plan. The sun was shining, the atmosphere was lively and the Celebration day was a fantastic end to an even better project. As we set up for the show I was a bit confused about how it was going to all turn out, but when everything was finished and ready to be viewed, it was so effective and a really fun way to display the plush dolls that we spent so much time on with the patients. They all seemed really impressed with our work, congratulating us on our achievements and our dedication which was lovely to hear.

We also had, in conjunction with the plush dolls, music was playing, sketchbooks were on show alongside our work that was building up to this event such as mood boards, proposal ideas etc.
Issi had made a fantastic quilt for the event which was stunning. The centre patch was beautifully stitched and it was a pleasure to see. It really brought something to the day where patients, carers, pupils and visitors could write a message on a blank calico patch, by the end of the day the quilt was bursting with beautiful messages.

The project as a whole has been emotional but amazing and a fantastic experiance that I will treasure. It's quite hard to come to terms with how lucky I am to have been given the chance to be a part of this project. A massive thanks has to be given to Zoe for leading the project and being a very motivational tutor and every member of staff at St Christopher's Hospice their dedication and love for the patients is amazing and something that I can't respect more. I also think all of us, the students, have created something that means so much to these people, I am so proud of myself and everyone else, for doing this, being part of something so incredible.
It has been a roller coaster of emotions, we have all learnt, and realised things we didn't think about before, how ever small that may be. From the first time we started to now, we have grown in confidence with the patients and become a closer unit.
I was also so pleased and happy to see George at the Celebration day. He saw his final doll and video and I watched him laugh and smile, he was very grateful and thanked me for working with him which was so touching. Eileen came over to me and Issi to thanking us for our chat we had with her which was so lovely. Knowing that we have made such an impact on some of the patients was actually quite overwhelming but at the same time such a happy experience.

This project for me has been a very touching experience, working with patients that are unwell, its still hard to think about. I really respect all the people at the Hospice, the hard work everyone puts in and what they do for the patients lives.
This final blog, and all the previous ones of mine, wont ever really be able to sum up my experience as it was too amazing to put into words.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment