Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Hard Time

Today was difficult to say the least. We began by discussing the previous week's session before starting the next. Whilst reflecting on the more difficult topics some of the patients had raised, we saw there was a stark contrast between the tone of some of our video interviews and our workshops. At this point all of the grief that some of up had been harboring lately came abruptly to the surface. I think we realised everyone in the hospice was well once, and everyone we see walking down the street could theoretically also end up in a hospice. You see- disease is indiscriminate. Being autistic, I'm actually still getting to grips with empathy. Sometimes I feel like a bad person when someone dies and I do not cry. I don't quite know how to grieve yet even though my great uncle I grew very close too died about a month or so ago. What frightens me is that one day the understanding of grief will creep up on me one day and I'll know it all too well. I also learned that Kim and I have alot of secrets in common. Some very sad things that I cannot share. On a lighter note, Kim was ecstatic about the design of her Elvis T-Shirt. Whilst we embroidered the lettering for the shirt, you could really tell she couldn't wait to see the finished product. That being said, it had been a very sobering day of introspection for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment